Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Coal Dog


Our Coal Dog was sent to the big park in the sky yesterday. He was 11 and sick and old. I probably kept him around longer than necessary. It sucks to lose the dog, he was a good dog and he will be missed. Some of my favorite things I will miss about him are:
5. The personal vacuum cleaner. Any food left out was gone in 2 seconds, including sandwiches you still might be eating. This comes in handy with kids who might drop food on the floor.
4. Having his bones stolen by Pongo and then searching for hours to find them. Usually found in a laundry pile.
3. How gentle he was with the kids never noticed them really.
2. Hiking with Coal he would run all over the place and never seemed to tire out.
1. How much he loved the car. It was his favorite thing.
1. Taking Coal everywhere with me. I sure no one else appreciated that.
1. Every time we came home if we were gone two minutes or a week he would cry and yelp. We called it his chewy sounds and bring you something to greet you (like a shoe)

Love ya fatty dog!

5 comments:

Joe said...

Sorry about your dog. That's so sad, because he's a member of your family. I mean, he's way older than your kids even. It's probably too soon to ask, but would you think of getting another dog?

Lisel said...

I'm sorry Mel! I remember when you got him, what a cute puppy he was. It's hard to believe it was that long ago. I know you'll miss him and I'm sorry for your loss.

Pearson Family said...

Melanie, that make me want to cry. Noel, my dog, is the same way with greeting us with a shoe...even if i just took the garbage out. I am so sorry.

Mindurs said...

Loosing a dog is so hard, I am sorry! You really do come to rely on them for a lot of things. I think one of the things you will miss most is the vacuum cleaner that cleans up after your kids, oh and the companion. Hugs from the Franci' we feel for you!

Kelly said...

Oh how sad Mel!! I'm so sorry. Cole was such a cute dog and he it seems like he went every where with you back in the day. Our little dog Che is turning 10 this year and I wonder how much longer he will be with us.